I'm sure we all have recipes that just scream Christmas, well this cookies is one of them. You know the kind of cookie that you see or taste and it brings back all of those wonderful Christmas memories. These cookies have been in my family for generations and now I want to share it with you.
1 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
3-4 cups flour
Strawberry jam or any flavor you like.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Begin dough by combining shortening, brown sugar, and corn syrup until the mixture is well combined. Mix in the eggs and vanilla.
2. Add in the baking soda and flour one cup at a time until the dough is no longer sticking to your hands and will roll out easily you may need more or less.
3. Cover your rolling surface in flour and dust your rolling pin. Roll into 1/4 inch thickness and cut in any desired shape. Be sure to cut two of every shape because these are sandwich cookies.
4. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until the cookies look firm or begin to get golden around the edges. Be careful not to cook too long because then they become very brittle cookies, your looking for a firm but soft cookie.
5. Let cookies completely cool before smearing them with jam and pressing together for a complete Jam Jam!
These cookies freeze beautifully and the recipe can be doubled and tripled easily! Happy Baking!