Please do your part in keeping our community safe by managing the wildlife attractants around your home.
As bears prepare for winter denning they are in search of easily accessible food sources. Don't put your community and the bear at risk by allowing them to access your garbage! Bears have already been spotted in several West Kelowna neighbourhoods.
WildSafeBC has tips that residents can follow to keep wildlife wild; help prevent conflicts by:
- Putting out garbage only on the morning of collection
- Kindly encouraging neighbours to put out their garbage at the appropriate times too, and offering to help out if they are unable to do so
- Securing garbage on non-collection days
- Keeping your garbage bin clean
- Not depositing food in un-secured garbage bins in parks or construction areas
- Keeping barbecues clean and covered
- Picking ripe fruit, cleaning up any fallen fruit, and mixing these attractants well into your compost
- Putting away and cleaning up any bird seed and pet food
Report human-wildlife conflicts to the BC Conservation Officer Service at 1-877-952-7277.
For more information, contact WildSafeBC at email@example.com 250-862-7336.