Being a parent is wonderful, glorious thing. But there’s no denying that the lives of new parents drastically change once the baby is born. Aside from the sleepless nights, there’s also the fact that date night will have to be sacrificed for the time being.
But it should not take too long before you can go out on a date with your partner. Just because your baby has become your priority right now does not mean that you cannot work on your relationship with your partner. Dates are important, so if you are thinking of what you can do, check out some of the tips below.
1. Leave your baby with someone you fully trust – one of the biggest, if not the biggest reason why new parents cannot go on dates is that they cannot find a person to look after their baby. It cannot just be a regular babysitter, it has to be someone who can take care of a newborn, and someone they’re comfortable enough with. You can try going to family and friends if you really want to go on a date. Maybe you can leave your baby with his or her grandparents or your siblings so you can be assured that your baby will be safe.
2. Choose a venue that’s near your house – if you’re not very comfortable with leaving your baby for more than a couple of hours, why don’t you try researching for date spots that are near your house. That way, you can feel at ease knowing that should any emergency arise, you are not too far to reach your baby.
3. Make it simple – a date does not have to be fancy. IN fact, you don’t even have to leave the house! Once your baby is settled for the night, take your partner with you and have a movie night, just the two of you. You can have wine and some take out. Having a date just means that you are working on showing each other how much you care for each other despite the big changes that have happened in your life after the baby came.
4. Make yourself presentable – it’s hard to dress up when you are taking care of a baby. Wearing a new shirt or blouse is impossible, as it might become a victim of projectile vomit or other fluids. So on your date night, to make it special, wear that dress you’ve been dying to wear. Put on some makeup. It’s the perfect time to dress up. It’s a way to assert yourself that you are not just a parent, but a person who still deserves to look and feel beautiful.
5. Focus on your partner while on the date – here’s what you need to do while on a date. Do not talk about the baby. Focus on each other and encourage each other. It’s not a crime to not think of your baby all the time. You also have other aspects of your lives, you are not just parents. So for a couple of hours, just give yourself time to relax and enjoy the company of your partner.
Check out some more things you can do on date night at parentsneed.com. They have other information that may seem useful for other situations as well.