I am a huge fan of one pot meals that are delicious and filling for the whole family! They are super easy to make and are very cost efficient for those on a budget. I am always looking for ways to save in the kitchen and with growing kids always eating this meal is a life saver!
Easy One Pot Skillet
- One yellow onion
- Two cloves of garlic
- 4 mild Italian sausage links
- 1 can black beans
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 2 cups grated cheese
1. Start by sautéing the yellow onion in a large pot with a bit of olive oil. Cook the onion until it is translucent and then add two cloves of garlic.
2. Once the onions and garlic are mostly cooked squeeze the sausage out of its casings and add the mild Italian sausage to the pot and cook until browned. Drain off any excess grease.
3. Drain and rinse then add the beans and salsa and stir until well combined. Add the rice and chicken stock. Let the contents come to a boil and then turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 30 minutes covered.
4. After 30 mins the rice should be cooked and all liquid absorbed. Fluff it with a fork and then sprinkle with cheese. Put the lid on with the heat off until the cheese melts and then serve!
Enjoy! This recipe freezes very well to so you can stock your freezer with goodness for those busy days that never end!