Landmark Cinemas is here to help you plan your very own Movie Night, starting with our own "at-home" popcorn recipe! Simply follow the instructions below to get started.
And if you need a new movie to watch once the popcorn's ready, they have just the ticket...e-ticket, that is. Check out their virtual screening of The Etruscan Smile which you can stream at home.
- 1 cup of your favorite popcorn kernels
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil (you can substitute canola/vegetable oil as they have a high temperature smoke point)
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 1/2 tsp flavacol butter salt (you can substitute regular table salt)
- Using a large soup/stock pot and turn the stove element to HIGH
- Add coconut oil; let it start heating up and turn in to liquid
- Add butter; let it melt and mix with the oil
- Add salt
- Add kernels
- Place lid on the pot and shake it back it forth to mix the seed, oil, butter and salt (leave on HIGH heat)
- Let sit on stove (leave on HIGH heat)
- Once you begin hearing it popping slowly begin shaking the pot with the lid on—always leave the lid on and careful, it’s hot!
- Keep shaking the pot as you hear the popping speeding up (leave on HIGH)
- Once popping near completion (about 1-2 pops every second) turn off the heat and remove from element; keep the lid on until you don’t hear popping anymore (about 5-10 seconds)
- Carefully remove the lid—HOT steam will escape
- Pour into a bowl and enjoy
You can add more butter and salt if desired but if you mixed this in at the start, your popcorn will be well seasoned. Start the movie!